Having learned new and better ways to make costumes, I decided to go back and re make by first proper costume: the Brute Chieftain
I did take photos, but they synced to my uni email and all got wiped after the first year so I lost a lot of the early progress :c
I realised that by having the Deluxe Brute statue, I can pull patterns directly from that instead of trying to figure them out myself like last time. As such, I layered on masking tape, drew my seams and pulled my patterns. These were then photographed and outlines on my computer to blow up to size for tracing.
I traced my patterns out onto 10mm foam and cut them out, beveling the edges where needed to get the corners. I used a mix of contact adhesive from Wilko and hot glue to join the pieces, as well as to back fill. I later remade this piece larger and with the extra details and fabric parts for some different texture
The pipe sockets were cut from 5mm foam and rounded to shape, with a 2mm piece to detail the raised section on the back.
I started by bulking out my head form into a more Brute shape with newspaper. When I was happy I started applying clay.
The head was sculpted with clay from then on. Looking back the jaw was pretty square, probably due to the fairly square base form I made. Definitely need more organic shapes in future.
My sculpt was then moulded in plaster in order to cast the mask in latex. The mould was cleaned out and dried before I filled it with latex. I left it for an hour or two so that the latex touching the mould dried out (plaster will absorb the moisture from latex) before pouring out the excess. This first pour is intended to clean the mould further by pulling out any remaining debris or sculpt. I also used it to test fit the mask and it fit fine!
A second slip cast later and I had my final mask. I used a mix of latex and acrylic paint to apply colour. It definitely isn't the cleanest, especially around the neck where I used plaster bandage, I think to repair or build up the neck I forgot to sculpt on.
I started making the helmet before I realised I could use patterns from my statue, but rather used measurements from the statue and roughly scaled them up to fit around my mask and keep proportions right.
The helmet is something I may yet adjust, especially the copper colouring to more red. The paint I used was some clear Hexflex and ModPodge, mixed with iron powder. This gave everything texture, the right colour, and style points for *technically* metal covered armour!
10 and 5 mm foam was used to build up the waist belt piece, with areas engraved and rounded to detail and form. The iron paint was applied over it all, followed by red acrylic and chrome spray paint for the flap (flap?).
I wanted to vastly improve the underarmour from my first attempt, so bought some material and sewing kit to get to work. I also made a rough muscle suit to bulk me out to a better shape. This was basically 2 morphsuits with upholstery foam sewn inbetween.
Just about everything else to show with making. The feet were made from 5mm foam to reduce weight a little and allow the foam to bend to the shape easier. The shins had to be adjust several times from the original patter scale to get them reasonable, and they're still large like the feet.
A view of all the parts outside for painting. The helmet had actually rusted a little by the time I took this so had to recoat it and then seal everything soon after to prevent further rust
A quick leather wrap later and he was just about ready for my end of course show. He had no hammer as I was "just making the armour" (I classed the shield as an add-on too). I do plan to make the shield and hammer, as well as fix up the whole thing for wearing some day. I also remade all the teeth with Miliput and reattached them to the gum holes, since the latex cast ones had no inside surface.