A small project for a friend, they wanted a prop for their Dave Strider cosplay. To help them out, I offered to fix that problem. And so, I set about making one of the many swords in Homestuck: Caledscratch!
Just a little insight into the behind-the-scenes here. I started by finding an image of Dave with the sword. He's holding the broken version here, so I scaled a full version over the top to get the length right. Then, using the length of the sword compared to his body, I scaled it to fit my size for the overall length. For the rest of the measurements, I got the full sword image and changed the file size to the right length, which also changed the width to scale. It was then just a simple case of measuring the lines on the file to get the measurements. I also printed off the file because it was the exact size I wanted, so making templates was a breeze.
From my measurements and patterns, I built the basic sword from a few materials. I started my using styrofoam to carve out the blade. Rather than sand down the dents, I stuck some plastic sheets on to get it flat, without changing the width too much. The crossguard is three layers of EVA foam mat and some leftover plastic pipes from a cheap Halloween scythe I used for my Crescent Rose build. Some aluminium was cut to bridge the gap over the pipes. For the handle, I simply cut down a wooden pole with a thinner square top to fix into the crossguard.
Sheath and belt
As the sheath needed to be worn to have any use, I set about making a belt to go with it. To get the size right, I drew around a belt I have to get the right length and curvature for the leather, as well and the right size and shape for the buckle.
Painting and finishing
The last part I needed to make as the disk for the centrepiece, which was cut and sanded from some black acrylic plastic. Before painting, I went back and removed the handle so I could strengthen it. As the previous joining was small, and the foam was still quite flimsy, I drilled a hole in both parts and used contact adhesive to fix a wooden rod through them both. I also cut out a section of the plastic on the blade to bend it back straight, as the blade wasn't in line the the rest of the sword. A pommel was also added to the sword, being made from styrofoam which I cut and sanded to shape. To paint the sword, I used black, white, and grey acrylic paints. In an attempt to get the cleanest lines possible, I used masking tape to cover over the white areas when I went over with the black paint. A black gel pen was used for the thin lines on the blade. Just as an extra precaution, I used several layers of hairspray to fix and protect the paint and remove some of the tackiness on the black paint.
I'm really pleased with my first sword build, and I think it's a really good interpretation of Caledscratch, although not 100% accurate. Structurally, it's a pretty solid piece and, with help from the sheath, should last quite a while.