Here's a look at my Ruby Rose cosplay. I kinda didn't take too many photos of my stages of production, but what I did manage to scavenge from old cameras and the internet, I've posted on here.
Most of the body is made here, just the core sniper bit left. All parts are made out of cardboard and modrock (plaster bandage), bar the gun; obviously.
Made up the sniper body and got that strengthened with some modrock. Added some paper-mache and red cloth tape to smooth out some of the areas and to get a rough idea of the colour scheme I want to have.
Paint job's almost finished. Used some red and black gloss spray paints for this, just need some metallic silver now for the blades then I'll get to hand-painting the details with acrylics.
Here's the finished Crescent Rose, disassembled for an easier picture. It looks a bit worse for wear here as this pic was taken almost a year after it was made but it's just about the only one I've got I'm afraid. Still a good representation of what it looked like though!
After finishing the weapon, I went on to make the costume. Sadly, all I've got pre-con is a rough design image of what I intended to make. This is where the 'genderbent' bit comes in. Ruby is, if you couldn't tell, a girl, so I adapted her looks to suit a male. Changing a costume to suit another gender is known as genderbending.
So here's the fully completed cosplay! Over all it took around a year of relaxed work to make. Had a bit of a breakage en-route to the convention so fixed the pull-bar with tape and some water damage loosened the front blade, but otherwise it all held together pretty well!